Elizabeth City, N.C.
JPI is assisting a partner with sourcing for a Database Specialist to provide IT and logistical program support to a US Coast Guard client. The Database Specialist will provide full life-cycle development and maintenance of the database management systems (DBMS) and ensure all products are delivered on-time and within budget. USCG experience highly desired.
This position is contingent upon contract award, and expected start is July 2020.
- Lead teams in the database design and implementation process.
- Develop and test logical and physical database designs.
- Review logical and physical designs of existing databases and perform tuning as the senior database specialist, to ensure maximum operating efficiency.
- Perform data analysis, database design, development activities, and implementation, as directed, for databases and database conversions.
- Perform database-restructuring activities.
- Work with users and information systems development staff to determine data storage and access requirements.
- Provide highly technical expertise and guidance in the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of database management systems (DBMS).
- Evaluates and recommends available DBMS products after matching requirements with system capabilities.
- Determines file organization, indexing methods, and security procedures for specific applications.
- Control the design and use of databases
- Control the global view of databases, the access to the databases, assures the safekeeping of the databases (from accidental or intentional damage or loss), and monitors the use of databases.
- Capable of defining all required database administration policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or related field
- 6+ YOE in database management systems (DBMS)
- Experience upgrading the databases, creating new data structures/tables
- Experience querying and creating reports, involved in security prevention and measures
- Ability to determine and execute database optimization
- Proficiency in structured query language (SQL)
- Knowledge of relational database management systems (RDBMS)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite as well as Microsoft Project, Visio, Access, and SharePoint
- Experience transitioning systems/IT from “legacy” to new systems within the USCG preferred
- USCG experience preferred
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Experience with any of the following: .NET, Java, PHP, HTML5, SAS/Viya preferred
JPI is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.